Thursday, February 19, 2009

Spin, as in Bespin

I've just come across this. These people have too much time on their hands. They implemented a text editor in Javascript. They implemented a text editor and UI framework based on the Canvas tag. From Scratch! It won't even run on Internet Explorer. And it looks like crap! Excuse me, but couldn't they just have used Java and run an Applet? While I have nothing against Javascript, it just seems like such a complete fucking waste of time.
Back in the 90ies, the hype was that Java in the browser would supplant Microsoft as the next Platform (with a capital P). Now it seems that Javascript is going to be the thing. Except with a weaker security model, no real modularity story, etc. I think a common runtime across platforms would be nice, but does it have to be Javascript in a Canvas? I want my Betamax back!

No comments: